To accommodate for some of the other activities that will be going on next week, our Polar Express Pajama Day (previously scheduled for Monday, December 17) is now going to be on Friday, December 21. A note has been sent home with more information.
We have just received an update that as of 3pm today, all after-school activities will be canceled. This includes parent-teacher conferences. If you are scheduled to meet with me after 3pm today, I will be contacting you to set up another meeting. Thank you for understanding.
Stay safe and warm at home! 🙂
I don’t know about you, but I am just now feeling caught up on sleep after the craziness that is Halloween Week (thanks, Daylight Savings!).
I’ve updated the Spelling Words page. We’re still practicing words with the two different sounds that oo makes, and we’ve added the sound /ou/ (like in round). This is also the week where I get to try and make up sentences during the test that relate to the Buffalo Bills (and I get to teach the kids the Shout! song). Looks like it’s going to be another year where the sentence I give for the Tricky Word is something about being let down…
Our assessments for report cards are well underway. Our reading intervention teacher has completed the benchmark reading assessments for everyone in my class so I will be getting you the information on that as soon as we go over the data and get a better picture of where the kids are as a grade level. It’s looking great so far! I’ve also finished up the math assessments and I am in the process of plugging all the numbers into my super awesome spreadsheet. This week I will focus on testing high-frequency words…keep practicing those at home! 🙂
Don’t forget — parent-teacher conference day is scheduled for next Thursday! If you haven’t already, please check my availability on the Parent-Teacher Conferences tab at the top of this site. I know it’s always a crazy day and not everyone can make it then, so I’ve added extra days leading up to November 15. I can make adjustments too, so don’t be afraid to ask!
Have a great evening!
Parent-Teacher Conference Day is less than a month away! To make it easier on everyone, I have set up a scheduling tool so that you can pick a time on that day or pick a completely different day and time if needed.
You can click on “Parent-Teacher Conferences” in the menu bar or go to https://miss-mahoney.as.me to see the available spots.
I look forward to seeing you all!
- I just returned from a last-minute trip to NYC for the Teacher’s College Reading and Writing Project Saturday Reunion at Columbia University. My head has been packed full of information and ideas to make our reading and writing even better, from some of the brightest minds in reading and writing curriculum!
- We will be starting spelling tomorrow, October 22. I have updated the Reading tab with our list of spelling words if you’d like to get a head start on practicing them!
- Continue reading for 20 minutes each night. If you happen to visit our classroom, check out the goal tracker I’ve posted outside the door. Each time a student turns in a reading log, I get to color in some boxes showing how close he or she is to our goal of 100 books per student! I cannot emphasize enough just how proud I am of these kids…in less than 2 months, we’ve read OVER 500 BOOKS together! That’s crazy!
- I’ve added some links and information to the Math and Writing tabs.
- Starting tomorrow, the first-grade classes will be dismissed from the doors by the playground instead of from the front doors in an effort to help alleviate the congestion out front at the end of the day. Let me know if you have any questions.
Have a great evening!
Thank you to everyone who came to Open House last night! I loved seeing the kids again and meeting parents, siblings, grandparents, and friends.
Whether you were there or had prior commitments and didn’t make it, feel free to stop in on Wednesday morning! I can’t wait for the school year to start. I can already tell it’s going to be a great one!
Enjoy this last long weekend of the summer 🙂
Phew! I’ve been a traveling machine this summer. Now that I’m home and have had a chance to breathe, it’s time to gear back up for the new school year.
Am I the only one who is excited for the year to start because I’ll feel less overwhelmed back at work? Yes? Okay.
I’ve finished your child’s welcome back letters and they will be sent out tomorrow morning. The letter includes some information about me and a little bit about Open House. Just a reminder: Open House is Thursday, August 30 at 5pm. My room is 129. If you enter through the main doors, turn right, and go past the office, my room is the first classroom on the right-hand side (after Mrs. Ambuski’s office). There’s a bunch of Dr. Seuss characters painted around the doorway, you really can’t miss it 😉
I will be posting here occasionally to provide updates and add links to what we’re learning in class, so check back every so often.
– Miss M.